What if I could teach you a simple step you can take each day that will save you an hours each week?
Would you be interested? I thought so!
So here it is: Use the voice mail message on your phone to eliminate phone tag AND have the information the person needed at your fingertips when you make the return call.
Here's how it works:
1. Each day record a new phone message. Have your calendar in front of you. In the daily recording, say the following:
- Hi, you've reached the office of Sue Henry.
- Today is Wednesday, October 24 (the current date)
- I'm sorry I'm unable to take your call right now. However, I will be returning phone calls between 11-noon, 2-2:30 and 4:30-5. (insert the times that work for you each day - they will probably vary)
- Please leave your name, how I can help you, which time frame you'd like the return call and the best number to reach you.
- I'm looking forward to talking with you!
Here's the benefit to this message:
- You've given the date so they know you are in the office, just busy.
- You've stated the times you will be returning calls. This way they won't be hanging around all day waiting for your call. Plus, they won't keep calling back each time they have a break, hoping to "catch" you.
- You've told them exactly what information to leave in their message. Now you know when to call them back, what number to call, and what information they are looking for. Before returning the call, you can gather the info and have it ready so it's all taken care of in this one call.
The minute or so it will take you each day to record your message will save you many minutes, possibly even hours, by effectively using your voice mail message.