What is the "IT" factor? It's the invisible "thing" a person has that makes them stand out in any crowd.
It's not because they talk loud, look like a supermodel, or do things to draw attention to themselves.
The "IT" factor is one of the keys to successful and profitable speaking gigs.
My definition of the "IT" factor is this:
- Confidence with humility
- Genuine interest in others
- A personal mission or "why" that is bigger than them
Some people are born with the "IT" factor. For most of us, we have to acquire it. How does one go about gaining the "IT" factor?
- Develop a skill and become really good at it. You don't have to be better than everyone else, just a few notches above average. Recognizing and marketing your skills, abilities, and talents isn't being prideful or conceited. It's understanding that you have gifts to share with people who don't have your same gifts - they have different ones. Hiding your skills under a basket and playing small is doing the world - and yourself - an injustice. It really isn't all about you!
- One of the easiest ways to become comfortable with people you don't know is to ask questions. One of my favorites is "What's been keeping you busy lately?" This non-intrusive question allows them to talk about what they want to talk about. Listen closely, ask questions. Each person has something fascinating about them. Make it a game to figure out what it is. People can tell when you are genuinely listening and present in the moment.
- Your personal "why". I've talked to hundreds of people about why they want to make more money. Not one person has ever said to me, "I want a huge mansion and billionaire lifestyle". I hear things like paying for college, getting a car that is reliable, helping with the mortgage payments, having a family vacation, etc. When I follow up with "why did you choose this way to make money?" 90% of the time they answer, "Because I want to make a difference."
Acquiring the "IT" factor will position you for greater success. Instead of being one of millions, you'll stand out as one in a million.