Ben Franklin was crucial in the shaping of America. His advice, statesmanship, and commitment were essential in helping form our new country. But that's not what I remember learning about him....
I remember him making a decision to become a better person and then taking specific, targeted actions to help him achieve those goals.
Here's a brief review of what I'd read about this wise man:
1. He wanted to be better than he was
2. He identified specific virtues he felt he lacked or definitely needed to improve
3. He wrote down each one on a separate piece of paper or card.
4. Each day he chose one card with one virtue.
5. He looked at the card throughout the day and found ways to show more of that particular virtue as he went about his life and business.
As a result of his consistent and conscious actions, Ben Franklin is known as one for his virtuous character: honesty, hard-working, industrious, kind, great communicator, problem-solving, etc.
How can you apply Ben Franklin's action plan into your business? Into your life? Try this: identify one thing you'd like to improve on. Write it on a card so you can look at it often. You can use alerts on your phone to remind you to look at the card every hour or actually have the item or virtue within your phone calendar to show up with the alert... And this can be done in less than 15 minutes!
Improvement comes when we are aware of things we could be doing better AND we take conscious actions. Many seemingly small steps add up to incremental changes... It all begins with one single step.