I believe that we spend our lives forging trails that become routine, predicable, and boring. It's what we are expected to do... you know, go to college, get a job, and work for years so you can afford to live when you no longer are able or want to work. I get it.
How do you find excitement and joy in the midst of boredom and complacency?
Learning and doing new things!
Think about it for a minute:
- When is the last time you Googled the area where you live to find interesting places and events that are new to you?
- When is the last time you hopped in the car to explore new neighborhoods just to see what else is out there?
- When is the last time you read a book about something on your bucket list?
- What items on your bucket list can be completed in a weekend?
- What special interest groups (service clubs, charities, etc.) have you wanted to be a part of but you haven't taken the time because you felt too drained and exhausted at the end of the day/week?
- What new hobby or activity would you like to try at least once? Archery? Fencing? Diving? Chess? French cooking? Beer making?
Trying new things adds a skip to our step and energy to our soul. It is our nature to want to learn, explore, and share those experiences. Choose one activity or subject you want to learn more about. Google it. Read a book. Search for local Meet-Ups on that topic. Become actively engaged.
The best way to deal with boredom, lack of energy, and add sizzle and excitement back to your life is to move outside of your "rut" and try something different. Start small and build on the energy you create. Stop accepting what life hands you. Start grabbing what you want from life!