Building relationships and creating magic happen when you can apply both!
How do you become and show that you are interested in others?
- Look them in the eye when they are talking.
- Don't allow yourself to become distracted and glance around the room. This sends a message that anyone else is more interesting than they are!
- Listen closely. Nod occasionally to indicate you are paying attention.
- Ask relevant questions or make relevant comments.
- Have a couple of "pocket" questions you can ask if they start a selling pitch. "What's one thing you wish you knew when you got into business that you know now?" "What advice would you give one of your kids if they wanted to start a business of their own?" "What's been keeping you busy lately?"
- If this is at some type of networking event or social, have a "moving on" strategy so you can both talk to others in the room. If you really hit it off and want to talk more, schedule a time to meet for lunch.
How do you become interesting?
- Have 2-3 "pocket stories" that you can share that inspire and entertain. (not sell)
- Have a couple of "pocket" questions you can ask: "What's one thing you wish you knew when you got into business that you know now?" "What advice would you give one of your kids if they wanted to start a business of their own?" "What's been keeping you busy lately?" People love talking about themselves. The more you get them to talk, the more interesting you become.
- Find out who they'd like to meet at the event that you may know. Make a personal introduction.
- Stay current on some of the hot topics. Think about how they affect you, your family, and your business. Sharing these thoughts will engage others in meaningful conversation.
- Actually care about the person you are talking with. Each person has something fascinating about them... make it an adventure to discover what it is!
Connecting with others in a way that increases visibility, builds trust, and leads to mutual profitability is built on the ability to have a memorable dialogue, not monologue.
People who are interested AND interesting are the ones that light up a room when they enter, not when they leave.
What one skill can you work on to become more interested AND interesting?