- Your presentation
- Your articles and blog posts
- Your podcasts
- Your speaker sheet
- Your product names
If you struggle with finding great headlines that create interest and get people to pay attention, try the old "swipe and adapt" method. With this method, you search popular headlines that others are using and then tweak and adapt to your message.
Here are 5 places you can find examples of great headlines:
- technorati.com - Search for the most popular blogs in your industry. Which articles of theirs have received the most comments? What is the title? How can you adapt it to fit your business?
- popurls.com - These are popular urls being searched right now. What words or phrases pop out that would capture the attention of your audience?
- youtube.com - Search for the most popular videos in your industry (and by your top competitors). Read the video description and title. How can you tweak it to match your message?
- magazines.com - Read the covers of the top magazines in your industry. These magazines pay copywriters big bucks to come up with titles that attract people to buy and read their magazine. Scan tabloid headlines while standing in line to check out. How can you tap into their brainpower and get similar results?
- amazon.com - Find popular books for your industry. Open the cover and read the table of contents. Often this will spark many ideas you can use now and in the future.
Titles cannot be copyrighted. So even if you choose one someone else is already using, you have the literary freedom to do so.
The right headline significantly influences the number of people who pay attention to your message. Are you getting the attention you deserve?