It's easy to listen and recognize lies or untruths when they come out of the mouths of others. It's much more difficult to analyze our own thoughts and words and differentiate between lies and truths.
Have you ever heard anyone say (yourself perhaps?):
- Everyone needs what I offer!
- If I attend more networking events, I'll get more new clients!
- I can't speak in front of people!
Let's examine each and see how we can transform each "lie" into a statement of truth with a short plan of action on how to make it your reality.
- Everyone needs what I offer! You may have heard variations which include "a good referral is someone with skin, a spine, children, aging parents, owns a home,", etc. While on the surface this may be true, the scope is too broad.
- Try this: write down 3-5 of your favorite clients. What do you enjoy most about working with them? What do they have in common? If you could clone them, what traits would you want to capture? What groups, associations, organizations, or hobbies are they part of? Now that you have identified specific characteristics, use these as search parameters.
- Another idea: what is keeping your hot prospects awake at night? What words or phrases are they using to describe their feelings? How is this pain negatively impacting their business? Family? Life? Think about the clients who work with you who have experienced the most dramatic improvement due to what you offer. What words and phrases do they use when describing where they were before and where they are now... This information will give you "hot words and phrases" to use when prospecting, networking, and speaking.
- If I attend more networking events, I'll get more new clients! It's easy to think that "more is better" but often that's just not true. Instead of focusing on "more", focus on being more effective at the networking events you already attend. Networking events are a great way to meet people, not to pitch your product or service.
- Create 2-3 questions you can use when meeting new people and when talking to people you've already met. Be creative. Ask questions that engage the person in meaningful conversation and allows you to learn more about him or her as a person. One of my favorites is "What do you wish you knew when you first got into _______ ?" The person isn't expecting this question so he/she will pause before responding. You've successfully moved the person from "networking" mode into "conversation" mode. This is where you begin building relationships that matter in business and personally.
- If you'd love to learn tips to effective networking, check out The $50K Club. It's free. You'll receive a new lesson each week that you can apply at your next networking event. Meaghan, the brains (and beauty) behind this club, is committed to helping people learn how to generate an additional $50,000 in sales each year when the activities within the lessons are applied. Too often we watch others who seem successful and follow what they do WITHOUT knowing if they are generating sales from their networking efforts. There is a BETTER WAY: The $50K Club!
- I can't speak in front of people! While it's true that there are some people who have such a paralyzing fear of speaking in public, this doesn't apply to most of us. It comes down to learning tips and strategies that develop new skills. Speaking is a learned process, just like walking, riding a bike, or driving a car. When I figured out how to put a talk together that shared stories and results of my clients that the crowd could identify with, I realized that speaking to groups wasn't about me. It was all about the audience! I created a master talk that I tweaked, adjusted, and edited. It was told from my audience's point of view, not mine. As I focused specifically on how to truly give good information (without overwhelm) that they were interested in and could apply, I was finally able to get out of my own way.
There are people right now who are praying for a solution to a problem that you can help them with. Get out of your own head, roll up your sleeves, and make the difference you dream of. They are counting on you!