This past Monday I reviewed the goals I had set for 2015. Some of them I have achieved, some were set aside because they weren't relevant to the direction my business is moving, and a couple that were quite important to me weren't going to be realized. This frustrates me.
I spent a couple of hours thinking about what I could have done differently. I can't change the past, but I do have control over what I do now. This is what I will be asking myself each morning when I start work:
What is one thing I can do today that will move me toward the success I dream of?
Regardless of what directions I am pulled during the day, I can ALWAYS find 15-30 minutes to move myself forward. If I start early before opening emails or voicemail (or Facebook!), I will feel great about my day, even if I don't accomplish anything else worthwhile!
As a speaker, here are a few things you can do to propel your business and speaking career, toward the goals you have set.
- Search Google for events in the industry that you want to speak at. Review the site and speaker requirements. Submit proposal if it is relevant. If they aren't currently taking speaker proposals, contact them and ask for details. Write the date that you should touch base with them again on your calendar so it isn't forgotten! I like to add the link of the event to make it easier to go back to.
- Search LinkedIn for Event Planners that work with speakers. Review their profile and if it looks like a good fit, submit a request to connect. Often you can find their email address in their website so you have it available to enter if LinkedIn requires it.
- Reach out to people who have brought you in to speak in the past. Ask who they know that brings speakers in - ask for a warm introduction. This is where the person would either call or email their contact, explain that they know you, they were pleased with the presentation you gave at _______ and they would like to recommend you as a speaker. If you only get a name, phone number, and email, it's a cold call.
- Search LinkedIn to find out what associations or organizations your ideal clients belong to. Then, search for those groups to determine if they have regional, state, or national conferences. If so, contact the group and find out the requirements for speakers.
- Follow up with proposals that have been sent but you haven't heard back from yet.
Choose just 1 each day, set your timer for 15-30 minutes, and make yourself do it. These seemingly small insignificant actions add to up massive results over time. Let's make 2016 our best year yet!